Sunday, January 17, 2010

My students think I am stupid.

When you become a teacher there is a part of you that must leave your pride, ego and you ability to be embarrassed at the classroom door. It just goes with the territory. Kids are not who they were ten years ago, they are dealing with a very different world, different families and standards of behavior but the old adage that "kids are vicious," still rings true. It is what it is, they are judgmental and quick with attitude and misdirected anger at the drop of a hat, and many times the person with the biggest bulls-eye is standing at the front of the room pointing out to them that they are not the center of the universe and that indeed many of the behaviors that they are exhibiting are not acceptable.

I am an adult I understand that being a kid is a stinky mixture of feeling that you do not understand. I battle it with being beyond embarrassment. Usually I accomplish rising above blushing by being just over the top enough to be able to get them to see that it is not always so serious and being silly can be fun. I have been known to wear a mustache necklace to work. So, today I will dedicate this blog to us all being able to see something silly, doing something harmless and funny and during these times of real worldly sadness to be slightly ridiculous in the name of celebrating life. I however, cannot stand when something is hilarious and does not acknowledge itself as such.

On that note I want to mention something that was brought to my attention that is indeed silly. It is something that may be worthy of infomercial status. Actually, it is not even infomercial worthy because I would not want to insult my leopard snuggie. It is the L'Oreal True Match Roller http://www.lorealparisusa.com/foundation/true-match-roller-perfecting-roll-on-makeup.htm. I thought that I was reading the Onion when I the advertisement but alas it was no joke. Please, let this be a makeup companies attempt at a joke to lift our spirits. I am not a lier so I will admidt that I have not tried it and I will promise you that I will as soon as they are back in stock on the L'Oreal website. That alone made me giggle.

I am not a brand snob, I think that great beauty products come from multiple sources, even your own kitchen. I just hate what the ad for this product promises,"an ultimate airbrush finish". It just seems absurd to me. First of all, how does something that rolls on give the same effect as something that is airbrushed on. When you paint a strip of wall with a roller it indeed does not look like a path that has been spray painted, it is not supposed to. The claims that it will adjust to the contours of your face is silly sounding. Secondly, an airbrushed look is not something a woman even needs everyday or for many woman there will not be a day it is needed. After all, thankfully for me, most people do not have HD eyesight. I would rather a company come up with a mini airbrush system for everyday use. Then it would be fine to suggest an airbrushed finish because, well, it is an airbrush.

I understand that the makeup industry is looking to introduce new products in order to keep people buying. I am asking my modest yet wonderful reader base to share the silliest or stupidest products they have seen or tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment