Saturday, January 9, 2010

You may want to smudge that a bit

There has been a change in my mindset. I am unsure when it exactly occurred but I have been looking at things very differently. The focus I now have while watching movies and TV has become less about plot and more on visual technique. I have been more interested in the makeup and visual aspects that are used in film making then anything else. I love when things are not what they seem.

I had not noticed how much my focus had changed until I was at dinner with a friend I have had consistently from high school. There was a female waitstaff who was applying eyeliner to a male staffer while hovering over our table. My normal reaction would have been, "Can you get me some water please and get a room!" Instead I stood up as a surprise even to myself said, "You may wanna smudge that a bit, the line is to defined to be considered smokey, it is a bit more Elvira then you may want." As the two waiters looked at me like I was sent by Rue Paul in a makeup mission from Fabulous Land, the female worker handed me over her brushes. I smudged that man's liner in the middle of the restaurant. Against some health code, probably, but the impact it had on my journey, fantastic. That "drive by makeup-ing" reminded me of when I began teaching and I became the niceness police for the neighborhood. I protected the publicly shunned from neighborhood bullies and told kids I did not even know, to check their Halloween candy for razors. It was natural to me at that time. Smudging the eyes of unsuspecting could be makeup victims is natural for me now. The journey begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment